The guardianship process is started by filing an Application for Appointment of a Guardian along with other required forms.
Guardianship of Incompetent Adult Checklist:
- An initial filing fee of $350.00 must be paid at the time of application unless accompanied by the Indigence – Financial Affidavit.
- Packet – Initial Guardianship Forms
- Initial Guardianship Affidavit
Individual Initial Forms:
- 17.0 Application for Appointment of Guardian of Incompetent
- 17.1 Statement of Expert Evaluation
- 17.1a Supplement to Emergency Guardianship (Required only in emergency filings)
- 15.0 Next of Kin
- 15.1 Waiver and Consent
- 15.2 Fiduciary’s Acceptance
- 17.4 Notice of Hearing for Appointment of Guardian (All parties listed on the Next of Kin form, who are Ohio residents, must sign a Waiver of Notice and Consent (form 15.1), or be served notice.
- 15.3 Guardian’s Bond (Estate Applications Only)
Additional Forms Required:
Per Probate Court Local Rules, all applicants are also required to submit the Applicant Information Form, Consent & Release Form, and Guardianship Background Check with the Application for Guardianship. If no known applicant for initial guardianship is known, also file the Addendum to Expert Eval.
Post Appointment Filings:
- 15.5 Guardian’s Inventory, due 3 months following the date of Appointment of Guardian (Estate Only) [Local Rule 66.1(A)]
- Waiver of Notice Inventory from Next of Kin [Local Rule 66.1(A)]
- Certificate of Service of Notice of Hearing on Inventory [Local Rule 66.1(A)]
- 15.6 Application to Release Funds (Estate Only)
- 15.7 Application to Expend Funds (Estate Only)
- 15.8 Guardian’s Account, due six months after appointment, then annually thereafter (Estate Only) [Local Rule 64.5(B)]
- All Court costs must be paid current
- Waiver of Notice Account from Next of Kin [Local Rule 75.2(C)]
- Certificate of Service of Notice of Hearing on Account [Local Rule 75.2(A)]
- 15.81 Bank Certificate [Local Rule 64.3]
- Acceptable Vouchers [Local Rule 64.6]
- 17.7 Guardian’s Report, due 6 months following the date of Appointment of Guardian, then annually thereafter
- 27.2 Notification of Compliance with Guardian Ed. Requirements
- 27.3 Notice-Application for Change of Address
- 27.9 Application to Terminate Guardianship
- 27.11 Important Legal Papers
- Statement of Expert Eval. Addendum – No Known Applicants
- App. & Entry to Dispense with Subsequent Stmts. of Expert Eval.
- Application for Exemption to Provider Rule
- Application to Extend Time
- Waiver to Terminate Guardianship
The Ohio Supreme Court recently made changes to Guardianship Rules. If you are a guardian, please click here:
Sup R 66, Page 462 pdf
to ensure you are in compliance with current Ohio laws.