The guardianship process is started by filing an Application for Appointment of a Guardian along with other required forms.
Guardianship of Incompetent Adult Checklist:
- An initial filing fee of $300.00 must be paid at the time of application unless accompanied by the Indigence – Financial Affidavit.
- Packet – Initial Guardianship Forms
Individual Initial Forms:
- 17.0 Application for Appointment of Guardian of Incompetent
- 17.1 Statement of Expert Evaluation
- 17.1a Supplement to Emergency Guardianship (Required only in emergency filings)
- 15.0 Next of Kin
- 15.1 Waiver and Consent
- 15.2 Fiduciary’s Acceptance
- 17.4 Notice of Hearing for Appointment of Guardian (All parties listed on the Next of Kin form, who are Ohio residents, must sign a Waiver of Notice and Consent (form 15.1), or be served notice.
- 15.3 Guardian’s Bond (Estate Applications Only)
- Additionally, per Probate Court Local Rules, all applicants are also required to submit the Applicant Information Form, Consent & Release Form, and Authorization for Determination of Criminal Behavior with the Application for Guardianship.
Post Appointment Filings:
- 15.5 Guardian’s Inventory, due 3 months following the date of Appointment of Guardian (Estate Only) [Local Rule 66.1(A)]
- 15.6 Application to Release Funds (Estate Only)
- 15.7 Application to Expend Funds (Estate Only)
- 15.8 Guardian’s Account, due six months after appointment, then annually thereafter (Estate Only) [Local Rule 64.5(B)]
- 17.7 Guardian’s Report, due 6 months following the date of Appointment of Guardian, then annually thereafter
- 27.2 Notification of Compliance with Guardian Education Requirements
- 27.3 Notice-Application for Change of Address
- 27.9 Application to Terminate Guardianship
- 27.11 Important Legal Papers
- No Known Applicants – Addendum to Expert Evaluation
- Application & Entry to Dispense with Subsequent Statements of Expert Evaluation
- Application for Exemption to Provider Rule
- Application to Extend Time
- Waiver to Terminate Guardianship
The Ohio Supreme Court recently made changes to Guardianship Rules. If you are a guardian, please read the AMENDMENTS TO THE SUPREME COURT RULES OF SUPERINTENDENCE FOR THE COURTS OF OHIO to ensure you are in compliance with current Ohio laws.