Probate Court
  Coshocton County
Probate and Juvenile Court
426 Main Street
Coshocton, Ohio 43812
Probate Court (740)622-1837
Juvenile Court (740)622-8969
Fax (740)623-6514
  Hours of Operation  
  Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:00  
Marriage License
Who may apply?

Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage.

A minor must first obtain the consent of the minor's parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the child by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:

(A) An adult person;

(B) The Department of Job and Family Services or any child welfare organization certified by such department;

(C) A public children services agency.

A minor shall not be required to obtain the consent of a parent who resides in a foreign country, has neglected or abandoned such minor for a period of one year or longer immediately preceding the application for a marriage license, has been adjudged incompetent, is an inmate of a state of mental or correctional institution, has been permanently deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the child and the right to have the child live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the child by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction, or has been deprived of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of the child and the right to have the child live with the parent and to be the legal custodian of the child by the appointment of a guardian of the person of the minor by the probate court or by any other court of competent jurisdiction.

(See Ohio Revised Code 3101.01 - Persons who may be joined in marriage; minor to obtain consent.)

A minor who desires to obtain a marriage license must have marital counseling prior to the issuance of the marriage license. The counseling must be provided by a licensed counselor, ordained member of the clergy, a psychologist, or psychiatrist. A letter from the person who provided the counseling must be provided to the Court along with the application for the marriage license.

How do we apply?

Both marriage applicants must apply in person, together. The license may be obtained in this county if one of the applicants is a resident of Coshocton County. A valid picture I.D. with social security number* and date of birth is required. If the applicant's address on the I.D. does not reflect they live in Coshocton County, then they need to bring proof that they actually do reside in the county (i.e. utility bill, lease, pay stub, auto registration, etc.) In lieu of a picture I.D., the Court will accept a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate and a social security card* or verification of the social security number (i.e. driver's license, print out from the Social Security Administration. The license may be used anywhere in the State of Ohio. This Court will also issue the license if neither of the applicants is a resident of the State of Ohio, but the marriage ceremony must take place in Coshocton County. The minimum age for applying for a license in Ohio, without parental consent, is eighteen (18) years of age. No blood tests or physical examinations are required in Ohio.
* All social security numbers are held in confidence.

How much does a marriage license cost?

The cost of the license is presently $52.00 cash, check or money order, and must be paid upon completion of the application.

Must I show proof of divorce or death of a previous spouse?

If either applicant has been married before, they must provide their most recent divorce information, i.e. county and Court where it took place, date and case number for the final decree. In the event of the death of a former spouse, date of death must be provided.

Is there a waiting period?

After the application is accepted, there is no waiting period to receive the license. The license is valid for sixty (60) days beginning the date of issuance.

Who may solemnize a marriage?

Only a duly ordained or licensed minister who is registered with the Secretary of the State of Ohio, a Judge, a Mayor, or the Superintendent of the State School for the Deaf may solemnize a marriage

To register with the Secretary of State or find out if your minister is registered, call (614) 466-2585.

How do I change my name after I'm married and who do I notify?

By custom, a wife who chooses to take her husband's name as a result of a marriage does not need to go through a court proceeding to change her name. This may be accomplished by notifying the appropriate agencies. By way of example, a wife should record her new name with Social Security , her employer, the IRS , the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Board of Elections, the school she attends or has children attending, and all financial institutions in which she transacts business.

The husband may adopt the wife's name and the parties may hyphenate their name. However, since these changes are not common, they may be more difficult to accomplish. The parties may need to file an application for a legal name change in the Probate Court of the county of residence for the past year.

Employers should be notified of the change in marital status. If appropriate, the married couple should adjust their federal and state income tax withholdings and the beneficiaries of any retirement plans. Some contracts, divorce decrees, and domestic court rules require notice of the change in marital status. Such documents should be reviewed to determine if notice is necessary. If either party changes their residence address, the Board of Elections in the county of the new residence should be contacted.

Individuals should be aware of the existence of nongovernmental agencies claiming to change social security and/or credit card information for a nominal fee. This Court does not endorse such services. This can be accomplished at no charge by directly contacting Social Security and the other entities previously mentioned.

Click on the Marriage License Application below to print an application.

Marriage License Application

  Coshocton County © 2015
All rights reserved.