Are you 65 years or older or permanently disabled?
Do you own and live in your home?
If you said yes, you need to file a Homestead Application by the first Monday in June to receive a tax reduction that averages $300 per year.
The Homestead Exemption Program is offered to all homeowners over the age of 65 or who are permanently and totally disabled, regardless of income. A renewal application is mailed annually so that the property owners can report any changes. If there is no change, the renewal does not need to be returned.
The application period is from
January 1st through the first Monday of June each year.
Property owners who will be turning 65 years of age by December 31 of any year may apply in that year. If the owner is under the age of 65 and considered 100% permanently or totally disabled is also eligible for the reduction.
New applicants, must as of January 1st of the year for which they are applying:
1) Be an owner of the property by:
- being listed on the deed OR
- being a purchaser on a recorded Land Contract O
- having a Life Estate in the property (the right to live in the property for their
- being the settler of the trust, if the property is held in trust O
- being the mortgagee on a recorded mortgage on the property.
NOTE: If the property is in the name of a Corporation, LLC, Partnership, or Company, it is not qualified because it is not owned by an individual.
2) Be living in the home as your primary residence.
Applications are available online or in our office. To show proof of age, we require picture ID.
We will accept copies of the following:
1) Driver's License
2) State of Ohio ID Card
3) Passport (current or expired)
To show proof of disability, a Certificate of Disability (DTE 105E) (which needs to be included with the application) must be signed by a physician or your original award letter from SSI Disability.